Panama has develop into one of many prime locations for overseas direct funding (FDI) in Latin America over the past decade. Earlier than the COVID-19 pandemic, Panama enterprise funding was thriving.
Not solely is it easy to register a company in Panama, however its GDP was additionally rising at 4 occasions the speed of the Latin and Caribbean (LAC) area.
But, no nation on this a part of the world was extra affected by the pandemic than Panama. Its GDP declined by 17.9 p.c in 2020 on account of building halting and the worldwide airport closing for a number of months.
Regardless of these difficulties, Panama’s financial system improved in 2021 and grew by 15.3%. Consultants predict that it’ll proceed to develop between 4% and 6% in 2023.
This continued financial progress in an unsure international market makes Panama a gorgeous location for business investment right now and sooner or later. Let’s check out what alternatives and challenges lie forward for Panama enterprise funding.
What are the Panama enterprise funding alternatives?
Panama’s authorities may be very open to overseas enterprise funding. They’re targeted on making it the first vacation spot in Latin America for overseas buyers.
There aren’t any main restrictions on overseas funding. For instance, there are no registration requirements for capital and the switch of funds to the nation is just not taxable.
Listed here are some key Panama enterprise funding alternatives:
- Tourism – Panama’s tourism sector provides many funding alternatives starting from constructing hostels, resorts, and lodges to establishing constitution dive operations and guided excursions.
- Actual Property – Panama provides a number of advantages for building initiatives. Residential initiatives valued underneath $120,000 obtain a 20-year exemption on property taxes for the enhancements made. For building initiatives starting from $120,000 to $300,000, the exemption interval is 10 years. And for these exceeding $300,000, the exemption is for 5 years.
- Particular Financial Space Panama Pacifico – The federal government established this entity as an independent and accountable organization chargeable for managing, selling, growing, regulating, and guaranteeing correct use of the Panama Pacifico area. It provides distinctive tax, labor, and authorized advantages to corporations that base themselves inside its boundaries, making it a fascinating vacation spot for multinational firms to determine regional headquarters. World corporations, reminiscent of 3M, DELL, and Caterpillar, have already arrange operations right here.
- Vitality – In 2016, the Nationwide Vitality Plan was handed by the federal government which proposed a purpose of sourcing 70 p.c of the nation’s power from renewable sources by 2050. To encourage the development of pure fuel, wind, and solar energy amenities, the federal government created tax credit and incentives.
What challenges are there in Panama enterprise funding?
Like all new enterprise market, investing in Panama does include its challenges.
Listed here are some vital components to contemplate when doing enterprise in Panama.
- Tax system
Beneath we discover every of those factors in additional element:
- Inflation – Whereas Panama presently has a low inflation charge in comparison with different nations within the area, it’s anticipated to develop by as a lot as 5 p.c this 12 months. The financial system is just not exempt from exterior international components affecting its inflation charge.
- Corruption – Panama stays on the Monetary Motion Process Drive ‘Gray Checklist’. This record refers to nations recognized with anti-money laundering and monetary terrorism deficiencies. Hector Alexander, Panama’s minister of financial system and finance believes they may very well be off the list by the end of 2023.
- Language – To achieve conducting enterprise in Panama, it’s essential to have a primary understanding of the Spanish language. Those that don’t communicate Spanish could battle to speak successfully and set up new industrial relationships within the nation. Partnering with a multilingual enterprise affiliate can assist in getting into the market, in addition to rising connections with native suppliers, distributors, and companions.
- Tax system – Understanding the native tax system is vital to success in any location. Panama’s territorial tax system solely taxes earnings generated inside its borders. Overseas earnings is just taxed within the different nation, making it useful for corporations and buyers based mostly in Panama. Companies ought to search skilled help from native accountants.
Is Panama good for funding?
There are a lot of compelling the explanation why Panama is an attractive nation to spend money on. From its strategic location, bettering infrastructure and expertise pool to its financial progress.
Let’s concentrate on a few of its main funding advantages.
- Secure political system – Panama is well-known for its strong political system, incomes constant recognition from the World Financial institution as one of the crucial politically secure nations in Latin America. It boasts the title of the second most secure nation in Central America and ranks fifth in all the American continent. The federal government’s concentrate on public-private partnerships, just like the profitable Panama Pacífico initiative, underscores its dedication to growth and funding within the nation.
- Location, location, location – Panama serves as an important connection level between the Americas, linking the East and West in addition to the North and South by sea, land, and air. With over 1,100 worldwide flights per week, Tocumen Worldwide Airport boasts 83 direct locations and accommodates 40 airways.
- Tax incentives – Because of the federal government’s tax incentives, already over 140 multinational corporations reside in Panama. As talked about earlier, Panama is an interesting alternative for multinational firms on account of its coverage of not imposing taxes on foreign-earned earnings that’s introduced into the nation and deposited in its banks.
- Rising financial system – Panama boasts an annual financial progress charge of 6%, which is among the many highest in Latin America. Moreover, it has achieved the most effective credit standing in all of Central America, surpassing Costa Rica, Honduras, and El Salvador. The Panamanian authorities has been instrumental in creating legal guidelines that encourage funding and supply tax incentives. These legal guidelines additionally present authorized certainty, attracting overseas buyers with promising returns.
How Biz Latin Hub can help you and your corporation?
Biz Latin Hub provides a totally built-in, multilingual staff of authorized, accounting, and company formation companies for your corporation plans in Latin America, and the Caribbean.
With wholly-owned subsidiary places of work positioned all through the area, together with Panama we’ve the experience to reply your questions and allow you to obtain your corporation targets.
To be taught extra about how we will help you in doing enterprise in Panama and the remainder of Latin America, talk to our experienced team right now.