A MUM who fell into the “world’s most harmful plant” says she was left in excruciating ache for months
Naomi Lewis suffered a six-month ordeal after falling off her bike and right into a gympie-gympie plant in North Queensland final June.
She mentioned the ache was far worse than childbirth.
The gympie-gympie is without doubt one of the world’s most venomous and is often known as the “large Australian stinging tree” or “suicide plant” as a result of horrendous ache it causes.
Its scientific identify is the Dendrocnide Moroides and is a member of the nettle household, the Urticaceae.
The plant injects venom into the pores and skin of individuals it comes into contact with and may depart them in horrible ache for as much as 9 months.
Naomi advised ABC the ache was “100 per cent the worst ache ever”.
She mentioned: “The ache was simply past insufferable.
“The physique will get to a ache threshold after which I began vomiting.
“I’ve had 4 youngsters – three caesareans and one pure.
“Childbirth, none of them even come shut.”
Following her accident, her husband drover her to a pharmacy the place she purchased hair removing strips to take out the stinging hairs in her pores and skin whereas they waited for the ambulance to reach.
At one level, she remembers telling him that she “can’t cope with this”.
Naomi was initially taken to a hospital in Cairns, close to to the place the accident occurred, earlier than being transferred to a different hospital for ache remedy.
After seven days, she was in a position to return house.
She then needed to take painkillers and use warmth packs for six months to maintain the ache out of her legs.
It wasn’t till December final yr that she was in a position to cease taking the ache medicine.
Even after that, she mentioned she nonetheless experiences ache in elements of her legs below sure circumstances.
The gympie-gympie appears slightly like an enormous nettle and has large, oval or heart-shaped leaves.
It produces fruit that look much like a raspberry however these are additionally coated in tiny hairs.
The plant grows in rainforests in Australia and Malaysia and delivers its sting by tiny hair-like needles.
The impact, which intensifies for the primary 20 to half-hour, has been likened to “being burnt with sizzling acid and electrocuted on the identical time”.
Victims may also endure sneezing suits, allergic reactions, purple rashes and swollen limbs.
Not all these stung find yourself in hospital however many do should be handled on wards.
It was found in Australia in 1866 when a highway surveyor’s horse turned crazed after a sting and died inside two hours.
Aussie World War Two soldier Cyril Bromley went mad from ache after falling in a clump.
One other shot himself lifeless after utilizing the nettle as bathroom roll.
Regardless of the hazards of the plant a green-fingered gardener has cultivated it at his house in Oxford.
Daniel Emlyn-Jones keeps the feared plant in a cage marked with a hazard signal to cease guests dealing with it.
The net tutor mentioned his goal is to advertise an curiosity in crops by cultivating uncommon flora.
Daniel mentioned: “I don’t wish to come over as a loon — I’m doing it very safely.
“Some botanic gardens have these crops as fascinating specimens.”